Temple Sinai members rally in support of same-gender marriage in Massachusetts.
The Temple Sinai Rainbow Committee is dedicated to developing the temple’s warm and welcoming atmosphere for the gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual community. Highest priorities are ensuring a supportive, gay-friendly culture and working to make sure Temple Sinai’s school provides a safe and nurturing environment for gay youth. Each year the committee sponsors the temple’s Rainbow Weekend, which focuses on various issues that affect the GLTB community. Below are some of the events that took place as part of recent Rainbow Weekends.
2010 – 2011
- Lisa Krinsky, LICSW, Director, GLBT Aging Project in Boston, spoke on “Gay and Gray: Growing Older in the GLBT Community.
- Screening of the film “Gen Silent”, in which 6 GLBT seniors share their thoughts and fears on aging.
2009 – 2010
- Dr. Robert Weintraub, Headmaster of Brookline High School, spoke on the topic “A New Generation’s Attitudes Toward Sexual Identity”.
- Rabbi Karen Landy, a Temple Sinai member, chaired a panel discussion on “Transgender Issues in the Jewish Community”.
2008 – 2009
- Guest speaker Rabbi Steve Greenberg, the first openly gay Orthodox rabbi.
- Screening of the film “Trembling Before God”, a documentary built around intimately-told personal stories of Orthodox Jews who are gay or lesbian.